Greencare Presents: Toxic Household Plants (Pt.1)

Greencare Presents: Toxic Household Plants (Pt.1)

Plants You Should NOT Chew On… Part 1.

We will be going over several everyday plants that could cause some serious problems if you aren’t aware of some of their lesser-known properties.  This series will include a lot of plants, but this will not be a complete list, so we at Greencare remind you to keep a close eye on your pets, children, and even your own gardens to make sure that non of these are being eaten accidentally or come close to anything you plan on eating.

NOTE:  You will notice that we make several indications about a plant being toxic to certain animals, but its worth mentioning that none of the plants in this series should be eaten by anyone or anything, cooked or otherwise prepared.

Without further ado, here is the first installment of our series of toxic plants:



Rating: Potentially deadly.

Commonly found just about everywhere, the Rhododendron features large, colorful blossoms and thick leathery leaves.  They have been known to grow to massive sizes if left unchecked.  In addition to being found just about everywhere, its also toxic to just about everything if eaten.  Dogs, cats, hoses, goats, sheep and cows could develop serious issues if they have been gnawing on the leaves.
• Symptoms:  severe digestive complications, excessive salivation (drooling), loss of appetite, diarrhea, colic, weakness, loss of coordination, partial paralysis, weak heart rate or death in a worst case scenario.


Baby’s Breath

Rating: Really inconvenient.

baby's breath
Popular in floral arrangements and general decorations, Baby’s Breath will wreak havoc on your pets digestion.
• Symptoms: Vomiting, diarrhea.



Rating: Hugely irritating.

Found in gardens and used for decoration, the Begonia isn’t often deadly and  can cause some serious irritation to your pets mouth and throat.
• Symptoms: Oral irritation, intense burning and irritation of mouth, tongue and lips, excessive salivating (drooling), vomiting, difficulty swallowing.



Rating: Has potential to ruin half of your weekend.


Found in bouquets and used traditionally as decorations for  formal events, the Carnation isn’t deadly per se, but will cause some discomfort for your pet (and for you)!
• Symptoms:  Mild gastrointestinal signs, mild dermatitis (rash).


Castor Bean

Rating: Seriously deadly.

This is a nasty one, and not terribly common but the Castor Bean is consistently found on lists of the deadliest plants in North America.  Sometimes  found in parks or public areas, this plant could be encountered on dog-walks or hikes.  Be careful not to let your dog (or anyone, really) eat any part of this plant.  Bad news.  
• Symptoms:  abdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst, weakness and loss of appetite.

**Severe cases of poisoning can result in dehydration, muscle twitching, tremors, seizures, coma and death.**



Rating: Will ruin the other half of your weekend.

Another one found just about everywhere, the Chrysanthemum is used frequently in floral arrangements and commonly planted in flower gardens due to its color and fragrance.  Dogs and cats are sometimes drawn to it, but its not likely to cause death, mostly some pretty awful digestive issues and rashes.  Loss of coordination could also happen is enough is ingested.
• Symptoms:  Vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, dermatitis(rash).



Rating: Potentially deadly.

While not as common as some of the others we have mentioned above, Cyclamen can be found in some floral arrangements or home decoration due to their bold hues. The flowers themselves are toxic to both cats and dogs, but the most toxic portion of the plant is its roots.
• Symptoms:  gastrointestinal irritation, including intense vomiting.

**Fatalities have also been reported in some cases.**


Toxic Houseplants Pt. 2